Hello my fellow green lifestyle friends, I’m your host C S.So glad you can join me today. This weeks topic is 3 ways to reduce trash and prevent tons of waste from entering your local landfill.
Let’s start with Step 1: How to perform a quick and fun trash audit.
There are many benefits to performing a waste audit in your home or office. This easy process will help you evaluate the amount and types of trash being generated. Plus, you’ll be able to set up a plan to reduce, recycle, reuse, and rethink ways to divert as much as possible from the landfill.
You’ll benefit by:
- Cutting costs and saving money
- Improving your waste management systems
- Increasing your recycling efforts
SO STOP THROWING EVERYTHING AWAY
Here are the simple steps to begin. And yes a trash audit can be a lot more fun that you may realize. Think of it as a treasure hunt.
1. Open up your trash bag and really look at what you are throwing away. What do you see? Soda or water bottles, paper board boxes, cardboard boxes, plastic food take out containers, leftover food? etc.
2. Now identify what items can be recycled. Do you see any items that could have been reused? or maybe repurposed into new items? What about composted? Does your community offer composting? Or how about setting up a backyard composting bin to capture the value of the leftover foods? Over 60% of what we throw away could be recycled, reused, repurposed or even composted.
3. What adjustments can you make to your buying habits to reduce the amount of trash you put into your local landfill? How about, stop buying products that generate lots of wasted packaging materials. If the packaging materials can’t be recycled and only generate trash, don’t buy the product. If it is a product you really love than speak up, contact the manufacturer and request they change their packaging to a material that can be recycled. (If enough of us do this, they will take notice)
I hope you’ve found these recommendations useful and are inspired to take action so together we can enjoy a greener, cleaner lifestyle.
Today’s Simple Green Up Action Step is to perform your own trash audit and report your findings back to us. We’d all love to see what treasure you find in your trash.
Stay tuned tomorrow we’ll talk about how to set up your recycling area and begin collecting more recycling items.
In the meantime, download your Simple Green Up Tool Kit 3 Ways to Reduce Trash and prevent tons of trash from entering your local landfill.
I’ll see you in the next episode, until then enjoy your day and the world around you.